The Construction Inspection Division is responsible for performing inspections on construction activities to ensure that construction projects meet approved plans and comply with building codes and standards. 
The Construction Inspection Division inspects private demolition work, the installation of signs and awnings, and processes insurance escrow accounts for fire repair. The Construction Inspection Division investigates complaints related to construction permit activities, and also issues certificates of acceptance and certificates of occupancy on new construction projects and developments.
Step 1. Once all work is approved the permit holder fills out the Certificate of Occupancy Application. Complete your & submit in person to Room 408 or via email to [email protected]
Step 2. A DAH Blight Clearance form is submitted
Customer turnaround time for a Certificate of Occupancy is 72 hours.
Step 3. Customers receive a Certificate of Occupancy in person at CAYMC building Suite 408, through the U.S. mail or email
Additional information for filling out the C of O Application Form
A Certificate of Acceptance (C of A) is issued when the work that the contractor has completed has been inspected by a city inspector and approved by a supervisor of the trade of the type of work completed. 
Step 1. Schedule an inspection with a Buildings & Safety Inspector
Step 2. A Buildings & Safety Inspector checks that the work has been completed in compliance with current codes
Step 3.  After the work has had the final inspection by a Buildings & Safety Inspector of the proper discipline, work is then approved by a supervisor and marked completed.
Step 4. Once approved, the permit holder may receive a Certificate of Acceptance through the U.S. Mail, email, or in person pick-up at CAYMC building, Suite 408. Customer turnaround time for a Certificate of Acceptance is 72 hours.
(If the work is done by a contractor, the property owner may receive the Certificate of Acceptance if the contractor gives permission in a certified letter.)
Step 1. Fill out the registration & renewal form
See specific trades for additional requirements.
Step 1. Schedule an inspection with a Buildings & Safety Inspector online here or call us at (313) 224-3202
See specific trades for additional requirements.
Six trade teams include: boilers, buildings, electrical, elevators, mechanical, plumbing
Office Hours: Monday – Thursday 8:00 am – 4:30 pm, Coleman A. Young Municipal Center, Suite 408 
General Customer Services(313) 224-3202
Construction Inspection Division Email[email protected]
Trade Licensing & Testing: Engineering /Boiler(313) 224-3184 -or- Elevators (313) 224-9401

Chief of Construction Inspection: Randy Hargraves
Phone: (313) 224-9102 
Email[email protected]
Deputy Chief of Construction Inspection: Robert DeBerardino
Phone: (313) 628-2457 
Email: [email protected]
Office Management Assistant : Kimberly F. Davis
Phone: (313) 224-3201 
Email: D[email protected]
Fire Escrow: Doug Glavac (313) 628-2660
Trade Inspection Supervisors:                       

Detroit Code of Ordinances – Chapter 8 – Buildings and Building Ordinances
Building Ordinances are as follows, but are not limited to:
For information about trade codes, please contact the appropriate division:
Due to a large number of Building Codes and Ordinances, copies may be obtained at:
City Clerk’s Office
Coleman A. Young Municipal Center
2 Woodward Ave. – Suite 200
Detroit, MI 48226
(313) 224-3260 (office)
(313) 224-1466 (fax)
A Certificate of Occupancy (C of O) is issued as required by the Michigan Building Code where a building permit has been issued and work has been completed in compliance with current codes. A C of O is issued by the Construction Inspection Division for New Construction, Major Renovations, Change of Use, and to Establish a New Use (as in a tenant build out).
10 Facts for Obtaining a Certificate of Occupancy:
For questions regarding Certificate of Occupancy, contact the Construction Division at Sanders Lee (313) 628-2711   [email protected] or Derek Rollins (313) 628-2712   [email protected]
The City of Detroit has three wrecking licenses available. A “Class B” and a “Class C” wrecking license limits wrecking to buildings of three (3) stories in height or 35 feet. A “Class C” wrecking license is limited to residential only. The third license type is a “Class A” license that allows wrecking of all buildings.

Applicants for licensing must be approved by the Board of Examiners for Wrecking Contractors. A minimum of three years of wrecking supervisory experience (Foreman-Superintendent-Supervisor) is mandatory to qualify for a wrecking license in Detroit. Experience up to two (2) years may be extended to anyone who possesses a degree or registration as an architect or civil engineer. All employers listed on your application are required to provide the department with an Employment Affidavit.

If you were self-employed and operating your company in some other area, you can provide evidence of experience by submitting the following supporting documentation:

The Board of Wrecking Contractor Examiners usually meets on the third Wednesday of every other month; however, a special meeting can be called when necessary. Only properly completed applications will be accepted for processing. All required application forms and support documentation must be secured, assembled, and completed by the applicant before submitting them to the Wrecking Board for approval. The application package must be completed and submitted at least 14 days before any scheduled board meeting, to be considered for that meeting.

The Wrecking Board’s initial hearing fee is $329.00, the exam fee is $86.00, and the license fee is $302.00. All Wrecking licenses expire on December 31st of each year.

Wrecking Class Definitions 

CLASS A RESTRICTED Contractor permitted to wreck all non-residential structures

CLASS A UNRESTRICTED* Contractor can wreck all buildings

CLASS B RESTRICTED Contractor can wreck non-residential structures and buildings not to exceed 3 stories or 35 feet in height and buildings of wood frame and solid masonry, (no reinforced concrete or steel frame)

CLASS B UNRESTRICTED* Contractor can wreck wood, frame, and solid masonry buildings and structures not to exceed 3 stories or 35 feet in height. Residential and non-residential buildings and structures are included.
CLASS C* Contractor can wreck residential buildings up to 35 feet in height. Must have minimum experience of wrecking (5) five houses as part of qualifying. The (3) three-year requirement has been removed, providing a shorter window for getting into the wrecking business in the City of Detroit.


Wrecking Class Insurance and Bond Requirements
The purpose of the Michigan Building Code is to establish the minimum requirements to safeguard the public health, safety, and general welfare through structural strength, means of egress facilities, stability, sanitation, adequate light and ventilation, energy conservation, and safety to life and property from fire and other hazards attributed to the built environment and to provide safety to firefighters and emergency responders during emergency operations.
The legal occupancy of any structure existing on the date of adoption of the code shall be permitted to continue without change, except as is specifically covered in the code, or by the building official for the general safety and welfare of the occupants and the public
Where it is necessary to make an inspection to enforce the provisions of the code, or where the building official has reasonable cause to believe that there exists in a structure, or upon a premises, a condition which is contrary to or in violation of the code which makes the structure or premises unsafe, dangerous or hazardous, the building official is authorized to enter the structure or premises at reasonable times to inspect or to perform the duties imposed by the code provided that if such structure or premises be occupied that credentials be presented to the occupant and entry requested. If such structure or premises is unoccupied, the building official shall first make a reasonable effort to locate the owner or other persons having charge or control of the structure or premises and request entry. If entry is refused, the building official shall have recourse to the remedies provided by law to secure entry.
The issuance or granting of a permit shall not be construed to be a permit for, or approval of, any violation of any of the provisions of the code or any other ordinance of the City of Detroit, nor does permits issued based on construction documents and other data found to be in error shall not prevent the building official from requiring the correction of errors in the documents. The building official is authorized to prevent occupancy or use of a structure wherein violation of the code or any other ordinances of the City of Detroit.
It is unlawful for any person, firm, or corporation to violate a provision of the code or fail to conform with any of the requirements thereof, or erect, construct, alter, extend, repair, move, remove, demolish, or occupy any building, structure, or equipment regulated by the code, or cause work to be performed or done, in conflict with or in violation of the approved construction documents or directive of the code. A violator of the code shall be guilty of a misdemeanor punishable by a fine of not more than five hundred dollars ($500.00), or imprisonment of not more than 90 days, or both.
Construction Permit Inspection
Boiler Inspections Types
 Buildings Inspection Types
Electrical Inspection Types
Elevator Inspection Types
Mechanical Inspection Types & Basic Requirements
Plumbing Inspection Types & Basic Information
A Certificate of Acceptance, or C of A, is issued on work performed under a permit. When a contractor or homeowner completes work on a building, the work is then inspected as required by a Buildings and Safety Inspector. When the inspection has been approved, a Certificate of Acceptance can be sent to the customer through U.S. mail, email, or picked up in person at Suite 408, CAYMC. The C of A is issued for approved permitted work under all six (6) disciplines: Buildings, Electrical, Mechanical, Plumbing, Elevators, and Boilers.
Homeowners can pull trade permits themselves with the proper documentation.
The homeowner needs to provide the:
Homeowner permits have to be signed off by the trade supervisor.
Homeowners’ permits can only be pulled for Electrical, Mechanical, and Plumbing. A contractor is needed when pulling permits for commercial property or multi-family dwellings (2-family dwellings & up)
Schedule of 2023 Board of Wrecking Contractors Examiners Meetings
Information and locations for the Detroit Water and Sewerage Department Capital Improvement Program projects scheduled for 2019-2020.
Construction Update: Water & Sewer System Upgrades to North Rosedale Park
This is a listing of the governing codes used by the BSEED Divisions
Extensive list of fees related to construction licenses, permits and inspections.
Apply for BSEED construction permit
Apply for Certificate of Occupancy for a building or house.
Application  for Renewal or Registration of Contractor License
Class A Wrecking License Application
Class B & Class C Wrecking License Application
Board of Appeals and Administrative Hearing Application for the Buildings, Safety Engineering, and Environmental Department.

Information about the BSEED Plumbing division, including regulations, permits, forms and fees.

Plumbing Checklist

Information about the BSEED Mechanical Inspection Team, as well as permits, forms, and fee information.

Information related to elevator licensing and inspection.

Elevator Journeyperson Checklist
Elevator Contractor Checklist

Information about the BSEED Electrical Inspection Team as well as electrical codes, inspections and permits.

Electrical Apprentice Checklist
Electrical Contractor Checklist
Electrical Journeyman Checklist
Electrical License Fee
Helpful links related to electrical codes and inspections
Fire Alarm Apprentice Checklist
Fire Alarm Contractor Checklist
Fire Alarm Technician Checklist
Master Electrician Checklist
Sign Specialist Checklist
Sign Specialist Contractor Checklist

Find information on BSEED building inspections and regulations.

Find the City of Detroit and State of Michigan building ordinances

Information about the Boiler/Pressure Vessel Inspection Division and Obtaining a Boiler License

Copyright 2001-2023 by City of Detroit
For information about the City of Detroit’s Web site, email the Web Editor. All material is the property of the City of Detroit and may only be used with permission.
Follow Us
Detroit’s Open Data Portal